Mexican-born accordion player Rana Santacruz caught my eye with his Tiny Desk Concert on NPR a couple weeks back. I like him A LOT. Here’s a list of reasons why…
- He’s a Brooklyn man and that’s to be respected.
- I don’t know what the hell he’s singing, but it sounds awesome (if you also don’t speakadaspanish you can read English lyrics on his site here).
- He plays at barbes in Park Slope.
- I don’t listen to anything else like this.
- Ohh yeah, and he’s Mexican and he sings Spanish and he’s got a freakin bluegrass band.
Santacruz released his album Chicavasco last summer, which infuses a traditional Mexican sound with bluegrass and folk rhythms and melodies. Check out the show below and get stunned. I’m a big fan of “Tacho El Gacho” and “El Funeral De Tacho.”