Choices can be a bitch…even when you can’t go wrong. With the historic Newport Folk Festival just a couple weeks out, now is the time that I have to start planning which of three stages I’ll be hitting up each hour of the day.
I will probably run around like maniac to try to see everyone, but here are my picks. They’re totally subject to change…
Friday, July 30th
- One stage with Sarah Jarosz, Tim O’Brien and Steve Martin with the Steep Canyon Rangers. Safe.
Sat, July 31st
- Sarah Jarosz – I’ll see her Friday night too, but I’m in love.
- A.A. Bondy – Bama connection wins, but will prob dabble in the others.
- Sam Bush
- Calexico – This is a hard one. I love Horse Feathers, but saw them a few months back and am Yim-curious.
- Doc Watson – I have to. He could go at anytime. BUT, get the clones ready. I wanna see it all. Dawes is splendid…and I love Andrew Bird.
- John Prine – Classic
Sun, Aug 1
- Cory Chisel & David Wax Museum (see next post) – big start, half & half
- Punch Bros & Sharon Jones – another half & half
- Avett Bros & Preservation Hall Band – mutha f. I don’t know.
- Richie Havens – hafta
- The Swell Season & Justin Townes Earle – half & half. I’m seeing Edward Sharpe next week. He’s pretty hard to resist. The clones will be released for this one too. So tough.
- Levon Helm – closing big